This course is sumptuously illustrated with truly beautiful images that capture the atmosphere and essence of these remarkable sites and remains.
Whether you are a professor or a Time Team fan, a student or a complete novice, an archaeologist or studying for general interest ...
Whether you spend much of your life on Orkney or have never (yet) visited these islands where 'if you scratch the surface, it bleeds archaeology' ...
If you want to transform your view of our ancient past ...
Then this course is for YOU!
What will you learn?
- Explore the Neolithic Age and the revolutionary effect it had on our human lives
- Discover the types of sites and features that litter the Orkney islands
- What to look for at such sites.
- How to appreciate Neolithic art and artefacts
- Enjoy a sense of place and time as we capture the essence and atmosphere of Orkney and its sites
You'll be seeing the ancient world in a whole new, fresh way.
Great Value! What will you get?
- 6 video sumptuously illustrated sessions taking you through the Dawn of the Neolithic Age, At Home in the Neolithic, the magnificent tombs and Neolithic Way of Death, Ritual Landscapes (the very heart of the Neolithic life), art and artefacts (self expression and identity in the Neolithic) plus Beyond the Neolithic into the prehistoric Bronze and Iron Ages in Orkney. What a package!
- Plus start up session with helpful guides such as a glossary, and an extra closing Next Steps lesson
- Downloadable maps and useful handouts
- Bonus 'Best of the Rest' notes throughout, so that you can find and visit the Neolithic world throughout Britain.
- A LIVE Q&A online session (scheduled at one time, one date each month) with The Muddy Archaeologist with chat box to ask your questions and respond and be part of the Muddy Archaeologist online community.
- Absolutely no exams or tests except for short lightweight quizzes. This course is for fun, discovery, learning and exploration for us to share together.
- A selection of options for payment: one-off payments, monthly installments, an option to sign up for a 'drip-feed' weekly to your in-box course instead of all 'up front' to access, start and end at any time or date to suit you.
- Group rates will be available.
- No quibble 30-day Money Back Guarantee
You've paid for the course - Now you here's how you can GIVE it as a present!
Gillian’s course opens up the Neolithic world on Orkney.
I was transported to this far off time and place, where the cultures, architecture and ways of these early inhabitants came vividly to life.
Really enjoying this course
Gillian brings learning to life
Gradually built up a picture of Neolithic Orkney. 5 stars
A great course. 5 stars
Welcome to this invitation to join my thrilling Neolithic Orkney course.
If you're looking to find out more about the astonishing sites and finds from the 5,000 year old Neolithic in Orkney then you're in the right place!
For I present lively, passionate and engaging ancient history and archaeology that connects with our lives today and which bring the past vividly to life.
My life is spent lecturing nationally and internationally, and on tours and cruises of ancient sites from Orkney's Neolithic to the diverse cultures of the Ancient Mediterranean - some of you will know me from our travels in the UK and throughout the Mediterranean. I lead groups for the Smithsonian Journeys, Australians Studying Abroad (ASA) and many other UK and international companies.
And I love it. My joy is to transform your experience of destinations into ones that are not 'just a load of old stones'; I help you to connect with the civilization, discover and share our common humanity with it and enjoy and appreciate the diversity, individuality and richness of each and every culture. AncFor I am passionate about revealing how archaeological sites and history are full of human life and passion. I love sharing the joy of ancient history in person, in books and articles, on the media and on line. I'm a prize-winning author and one of my books, Visiting the Past: Finding and Understanding Britain's Archaeology, shares with you how to explore the archaeology of the British Isles from prehistory up to the medieval age and even beyond.
After graduating in Latin and Ancient History from Exeter University, I worked in BBC Television and went on to become an award-winning freelance writer, author.
I have led a community archaeology project in Yorkshire and I have excavated at major sites in the UK and Europe - including Orkney's remarkable Ness of Brodgar site.
I now lecture at York University and speak at the British Museum. I share courses around the country and lecture throughout the UK and abroad for audiences that range from local societies and luncheon clubs to Classical Associations, The Arts Society, and international groups. Every event is tailored to YOU, whoever and wherever you are.
I offer you expertise, passion and a warm welcome.
Archaeology is for everyone: let me lead you on a journey into the past with knowledge, great images, and a sense of fun and enjoyment.
Adding colour and depth to our lives today by digging deep into the past.